I'm Not Like Those Mums & That's Ok

I'm going to start this post off by saying I judge you. Every parent judges other parents, if you say you don't, you are lying. You may not judge others often but if you saw someone doing crack infront of their child you would judge them wouldn't you?
I get judged, I know I get judge, I find most of you reading my blog will judge if I am a good parent or not depending on the things I write about my children and that's okay. I don't mind if you do judge me, my blog is full of honesty, there are some parts of it which come across as quite dark and you will judge me maybe even just based on those things, in my blog I have always tried to be as open and honest with you as possible, so you can have a good prospective of me.
You don't have to like me, I know I am not the most likable person in the world and once again I am okay with that.

Recently I joined a Facebook mothers group which was based in my local area (in my old town) and for the past few days I had watched the posts and some of the mothers in it talk amongst themselves, I know quite a few of the mothers in it in person too.
I decided to post this picture to help sway people from going to the GP for paracetamol which they can buy in the supermarket for 20p;



The response I got to posting that photo simply made me gasp. People actually said that they should be entitled to Calpol etc on prescription.
Am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't?
You could just stop spending all your money on boozy nights out and spend £3 on a bottle of it, or even £1.50 if you get your supermarket branded one.
I can't believe people in this day and age are actually like that. Still.

I then tried a few days later to post a link to this petition about banning ear piercing for babies (which I agree very strongly with) and the admin refused to let me post it as it would 'offend some people and cause a debate' I'm sorry, what? That's like saying you can't post anything about a political party incase your opinion is different from somebody else. She eventually let me posted it but only the link, not any text I had put, I had put something along the lines of "let's end this form of torture to babies", I don't personally see how that could offend anyone, if it offends you then you must realise that piercing your kids ear's at such a young age was a completely fucking stupid idea and you should offended.

I continued to watch more posts, I spoke to a friend of mine about the group and she said at the meet ups they have they just bark at their children, don't keep an eye on them, just leave them.
When I drove past the place where it was held on Thursday there were people standing outside the building smoking. That completely put me off ever going to be honest and it made my mind up about what type of people these parents are and since then I have left the group.

So yes, I am judging them. I don't feel like I am like them.
I am in no way saying I am a better parent than them, but what I am saying is that I believe the life choices I make for our family are better in my opinion, I don't smoke, I don't bark at my children, I don't really ever drink, I do not believe in harming my children just for vanity reasons and I don't feel like I'm entitled to Calpol on prescription.
My life choices are different to these parents, I don't feel like I could hang out with these parents and pretend to get on with them.
I am sure they are great parents in different ways to I am, like I said, I don't believe I am better than them, but as my parenting choices are different to them I won't be joining their little gang.

I am okay with this.

Life with Baby Kicks

Comments

  1. This is a wonderful post. I posted something similar last week on Facebook mums and got shot down for offending someone. But if we didn't debate, life would be boring. I'm totally with you by the way, I'm not a mum yet so my judgment of other parents is woefully ill-informed, but just you wait til the baby arrives and I will judge everybody, including myself. This is a great post and I'm glad you've got the courage to stamp your opinion on these issues when other places won't let you :) #effitfriday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the judging aspect of parenting. I am all for sharing of opinions and of debate but I do hate when others judge you on your choices as it can lead to victimisation and can be a little bit bullying.#

    That said no idea why they wouldn't let you link to a petition, surely if you don't agree (and I am on the fence on the ear piercing personally, I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't want to stop others, think of the whole cultural side for instance. Out here in the middle east people often comment that your baby must not be a girl because they don't have their ears pierced) you just don't sign?

    Thanks for linking with #effitfriday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment