How Clean Is Your Home?

So Robert and I got REALLY pissed off this weekend.
We received an incredibly rude message from someone, I'm not naming names, but it has led me to ask this question to all you parents out there;

HOW CLEAN IS YOUR HOME?

Cleaning in our house can be difficult.
Actually, the cleaning isn't an issue, it's keeping it clean which is the problem.
As you know, we have two children, two children who cause tornado's where ever they go.
So when I wake up early in the morning and I clean the living room, tidy the kitchen and bathroom as soon as the children get up it's like an explosion going off, they have trashed everywhere in the space of ten minuets.
It doesn't even look like I've even bothered!
I hoover daily, with our dog I have to, her fur sheds loads over the summer so that hoover is constantly on, when I hoover in the morning by the end of the day the carpet looks black again, sometimes I hoover twice a day and it still does not make any difference.
I put the toys away at least 4 time a day, do you know what? It's probably the most pointless thing to do whilst the kids are awake, because they see me putting them away and they come up behind me a pull them out of the toy box again.
I tidy the kitchen almost every day, usually kitchen duties are Robert's job (washing up mainly), but I tidy up and put the rubbish in the bins etc, we don't have much storage in our kitchen (or anywhere in our house to be totally honest) so our kitchen looks quite cluttered (we do have a lot of kitchen gadgets that we don't use a lot of the time), we do have a sideboard in the kitchen where stuff goes when I don't have time to put it anywhere, sometimes it gets left there for a week, sometimes even longer. And you know what? I am okay with this. Because you know what else? It's our fucking home.

Our bathroom, yeah, I don't clean it every day, but the toilet is always clean, sometimes when Robert shaves little bits of his beard go on the back of the sink, it's not the end of the world, when we get a chance we give it a quick clean. Shower is average, we spray the daily shower stuff on the doors and tiles most of the time we have a shower. We have several laundry baskets in our bathroom, which leads me onto the laundry, I get as much of it as done during the day as I can, maybe like 3 loads a day? But as one of my goals this year was to not worry about it so much, I'm not stressing over it.

Upstairs. Our bedroom is a bit cluttered, we have a lot of stuff, but in general it's pretty tidy, sadly Robert's chest of drawers is broken and we can't afford to replace them so his clothes are in storage boxes at the moment, so it does look a bit messy, but you know what, it's our fucking room.
Edward's room is always tidy, he rarely makes a mess in there.

Our garden.
Our grass grows stupidly fast.
The only time it gets mowed is at the weekend if we even have the lawn mower and strimmer because Robert works all day and doesn't have a chance to do it in the evenings.
We have a massive tree in our garden, the leaves fall off it every day, and when I sweep them up, the next day it looks like I once again - haven't bothered.

We don't mind a bit of mess in our house.
With children you need expect there will be mess, especially with two of them.
It's okay for those of you without children, you only have yourselves to clean up after, must be lovely for you to have a picture perfect home, but you know what? We don't want a picture perfect home.

Most days I'm not even in the house anyway, I'm usually taking the kids out to places like the park or whatever, I don't want to waste my life away cleaning constantly, I don't want the children to just remember mummy and daddy cleaning all the time, I'd rather they remembered mummy and daddy taking them places, letting them enjoy the sunshine and life rather than being stuck indoors all day.

If you don't like our home how it is please do not come over.

So, tell me, how clean is your home? Do you struggle to keep on top of it all sometimes?

Mummascribbles
Best of Worst

Comments

  1. This is a never ending battle in our home. I even got fed up and got rid of a ton of the kids' toys (I wrote a recent blog post about it on growing wildness.com). I 100% agree that it feels so pointless to clean because they're so skilled at messing it all back up again in seconds! I need a housekeeper! I don't mind a little disorganization- but having my home look like a toy store exploded in every room gets a little maddening! #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impossible to keep the house tidy. I do like the toys to be tidied away before bedtime so I can walk across the room without breaking my neck, but really as long as the kitchen is clean enough so no one gets ill and the bathroom is clean enough that not too many unpleasant smells emanate throughout the rest of the house, I am content. It would be nice if it was a bit cleaner and tidier, but like you say there are so many more important things to be getting on with, and you're fighting a losing battle anyway.
    x Alice
    #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. clean, organized, and uncluttered are all different things. Our house is dusted and vacuumed regularly, but there is crap from one end of the house to the other. I'd call it clean and sanitized. others would probably not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our house is messy, but thankfully clean(ish). I admit that sometimes washing piles up and sometimes dishes get kept in the sink a little too long. But the floors, windows, surfaces; they're all clean! Having said that, we really need a new vacuum as ours is packing up! It's not coping too well now Luke is a speedy toddler! Ray xx #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sometimes our house is just yucky!! You think I'm kidding but seriously, we both work full time and have a toddler. The only time we get to clean is at weekends, which also happens to be the only time we get to spend with Zach! Like you, I want him to remember having fun with mummy and daddy! That said, it's never grim grim! We do clean, we are not disgusting and every now and then we have a massive clean and the house looks divine. And then Zach comes along with his toys and jam sandwiches and it's back to square one! And there is my confession! Don't tell anyone! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. People can be do rude! Our house is constantly cluttered no matter how much I tidy, that's life with kids and as long as you do your best, that's all we can do. The most important thing is spending time with our kids, not constantly striving for an immaculate house! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes feel like all I do is pick up endless amounts of cars, lego and animals all day, in every single room! I only have one boy, but the mess he makes feels like I have five. He is actually good at putting his stuff away and everything is in labelled boxes but still...before school a box has to be tipped up to find a car to show his friend, and I have to decide whether to leave it like that all day until he gets home or pick it up myself...ineveitably I do it myself! #MummyMondays

    ReplyDelete
  8. God our house is rarely thoroughly clean and never stays that way for long! Most rooms get a good clean once a week if they're lucky and the rest of the time cursory wipes or tidies and toys mainly get put away the end of the day as like you say, no point when the kids are around! Whoever sent you a rude message, shame on them! There are more important things in life than a spotless house! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my house is a mess most of the time, trying to keep on top of it is hard with a toddler a newborn!! I like to think it's clean though but I do stress when it's messy :( I can't believe someone would send you a rude message though that's just not on! Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst and hope to see you again next week!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your take on this is certainly something that a lot of parents are familiar with. Cleaning can be a challenge, especially if there are children involved. It’s normally best to just set aside a day or two every week to clean everything up, unless it’s something major or unhygienic. Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter. Cheers!

    German Zollinger @ Total Clean Equip

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't help but agree with your notion. The problem is, indeed the act of keeping the house clean and not cleaning itself. I got two young kids myself so I should know--when they're "in the mood" so to speak, they get all over the place.

    German Zollinger @ Total Clean Equipment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment