When Did Parenting Become So Hard?

Edward has become very challenging lately, he's very argumentative and he just seems so angry all the time, I am really struggling to cope at the moment, when he's angry and rude it makes me angry and rude and that's not what I want to be.
It's really hard dealing with the fact he was such a lovely little boy to be around all the time to this new attitude he's got.
Night times are worse now, he's refusing bed time, refusing to go to bed, refusing to stay in his room etc.
It's not like we are telling him he has to go to sleep straight away, we are happy for him to play in his room until he wants to go to sleep but bed time is bed time and he needs to learn that.

Someone suggested to me on the sling board I go on that we should try using sticker rewards as a way to help him learn to be good and helpful.
I have always been against sticker rewards or any rewards to be honest, like when potty training some people use stickers as a way to get their child to pee, I don't believe it's a good way to get a child to do something because they will then only do stuff for the sticker and not because it's good or helpful.
BUT.
I am now completely desperate. As I am completely out of ideas on how to get him to behave I am now a sticker mum.

He has a really nice London Bus sticker book with lots of stickers in it, so we have started using it this morning.
I sat him down when we got up and explained to him that everytime he's good and helpful he gets a sticker, I think he understands., he also understands that if he's naughty I will take away a sticker.
So so far this morning he's had his breakfast, brushed his teeth, washed his hands and face and helped to tidy up so he's had two stickers.
He's still got a bit of an attitude, I don't expect this to work over night, but I do hope by the end of the week he starts to change a bit.

I spoke to the head of his preschool last night and she said the two girls who see him the most have said they have noticed a change in him and that we are going to have a meeting so we can see how we can work together to help Edward.

I knew boys get harder work as they grow older, but he's only 4 and he's already acting like a teenager.

How do you handle these situations?





The Dad Network

Comments

  1. I wish I had an answer but my 6 year old has gotten very argumentative lately and it's so hard
    Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, have you tried the stickers thing yet? We're now at lunch time and Edward has been better so far, I think we may have possibly found something the works! But don't want to jinx it too soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this! I did a post a few months back on arguing. Some people had some great tips. Tweet me @mr_kitney and ill share the link. That being said I have no suggestions. Some days are better than others. Nothing that ive tried really ever works but that being said I give up easily and try something new. :/ I do have a feeling with having two boys that it is a boy thing. Thanks for linking up with us on the #bigfatlinky hope to see you there next week

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He's angry and rude and it makes me angry and rude and that's not what I want to be." That really struck a cord with me. Today is the eve of my son's 16th birthday and he is angry and rude with me a LOT, no MOST of the time at the moment. And this then often turns me into someone I don't want to be! I guess the key is to try not to engage with it - ha ha - easier said than done!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment